Nima Ashtyani
January 1, 2018

Can I move my kids out of state after my divorce? In Bisbing v. Bisbing the New Jersey Supreme Court recently provided guidance for the resolution to this question.

The scenario:

Husband and Wife have twin ten-year-old girls.  Husband and Wife decide to get divorced.  Prior to the divorce, Wife starts dating a new man.  In March 2014, Husband and Wife negotiate a Marital Settlement Agreement and are divorced by April 2014.  In that agreement, Husband and Wife agree to three relevant facts: 1) Husband and Wife agree to share legal custody of the girls; 2) Wife is named the “parent of primary residence”; and 3) neither Husband nor Wife can move out of state with the girls unless the other agrees.

Nine months later, Wife tells Husband that she is moving out of state with the girls to live with her boyfriend in Utah.  Husband objects.

So, who wins?  Can Wife leave with the kids to Utah or can the Husband demand that the kids stay in New Jersey?

In Bisbing, the Court first acknowledged that the parties had a negotiated settlement agreement directly on point – no one can permanently leave the state with the girls without the consent of the other party.  Therefore, unless Wife could prove that “changed circumstances” existed to warrant modification of the agreement, she is out of luck. (seeQuinn v. Quinn and Lepis v. Lepis)

If, however, circumstances had changed, the Wife would still be obligated to show that the move would be in the best interest of the children.

Prior to this case relocation was appropriate so long as the move was in good faith and was not contrary to the best interest of the child. Every other custody question in New Jersey simply asks whether or not a change is in the best interest of the child.  Bisbing brings relocation law under that umbrella.

In summary, 1) if you have an agreement regarding relocation, you have to follow it unless there are changed circumstances; and 2) if there are changed circumstances or there is no agreement, you cannot relocate the child unless it is in the best interest of the child.

Related Articles

I had the pleasure of working with Nima Ashtyani to complete my power of attorney, will, and health care directive. My experience with him was nothing short of excellent. He is diligent, thorough, and very thoughtful. He spent quite a bit of time with my wife and me to ensure we carefully considered all our options when completing each document. Despite several concerns and a fair amount of revisions, Nima showed remarkable patience. Because we had such a positive experience, I referred his firm to my parents and friends. All of whom had equally positive experiences working with him. This firm is highly recommended.
Frank Martello

Ready To Plan For Your Next Stage?

Contact us to schedule a no obligation consultation.

Contact Us